Mouth Guards MississaugaMouth guards are customized appliances used to protect the teeth and jaws. We offer several options in our office in Mississauga. Bite appliances are worn during sleep, and sports guards are worn during athletic activities.
BruxismBruxism is the medical term for clenching or grinding teeth. Some people do this during the day, in times of stress, but they are usually aware of it. However, it often occurs during sleep. You could have nighttime bruxism and not even realize it. Symptoms include:
- Frequent headaches
- Jaw aches or facial pain
- Excess or uneven wear and tear on teeth
- Chipped or fractured teeth
- Worn or damaged dental restorations
- TMJ disorder
Night guardsBite appliances are designed to prevent grinding and protect teeth while sleeping. They are made of thin, comfortable acrylic material. Depending on the severity of bruxism, your dentist may recommend a standard appliance, or a more durable model.
- Night guards are recommended for patients who are suffering from pain or tooth damage due to bruxism.
- We often recommend a night guard after placement of porcelain veneers or similar cosmetic work, to prevent damage to the restorations.
- These appliances are not recommended for children who do not yet have all their secondary (adult) teeth.
Sports guardsA different type of mouth guard is used to protect the mouth while playing sports. These appliances are more flexible than night guards, allowing the wearer to speak clearly. Customized appliances are more comfortable and more effective than retail products sold in sporting goods stores. Although most commonly worn by children, mouth guards are a good idea for athletes of all ages.
If you think that you or your child may need a mouth guard, please visit our office for a consultation. Just give us a call at (289) 768-7876 to schedule your appointment.