Halitosis Treatment Mississauga
Bad breath is a common oral health concern among men and women in Mississauga and around the world. It can be embarrassing, but that is not the only reason to seek treatment. Bad breath (or halitosis, as it is known in medical terms) can be a sign of oral disease.
Causes of bad breath
There are two common reasons for the odor:
- Food – Some pungent foods, such as garlic, are known for causing bad breath, which is temporary. However, any food can be problematic if it lingers in your mouth. Particles stuck between the teeth rot, causing an odor and encouraging bacterial growth.
- Bacteria – Chronic bad breath that continues even after thorough brushing and flossing may be a sign of periodontal disease. Other symptoms include inflammation or discoloration of the gums, calculus buildup, and frequent infections.
Prevention and treatment
Individuals with good oral health can usually avoid bad breath. Try the tips outlined below. If bad breath persists, visit R Dentists for an exam.
- Brush your teeth a minimum of twice a day.
- Rinse with water after eating if you can’t brush immediately.
- Floss a minimum of once a day.
- Avoid food that tends to give you bad breath; onions, garlic, and spicy dishes are the most common. Alcohol can also cause odor.
- A dry mouth can contribute to bad breath. If this is a problem, sip on a glass of water, chew sugarless gum, or use sugarless breath mints. For chronic bad breath, talk to your dentist.
- Don’t use any form of tobacco.
- Use a mouth rinse daily.
- Removable appliances, such as dentures, should be taken out at night.
- Visit us every six months for a cleaning and checkup.
If you have (or want to avoid) bad breath, call R Dentists at (289) 768-7876
and schedule your appointment today.